Monday, December 10, 2012

THE CEILING

So, on Saturday a very exciting thing happened.  

FINALLY, the dining room was going to get started!  The dining room is at the center of our home.  Not figuratively, but physically.  It used to be a dark, dramatic red:
With a lot of ceiling tiles falling down, thanks to what USED to be a hole in the roof.  Now, of course, there is no hole in the roof...but we were missing portions of a couple of ceiling jousts due to rotting.  Anyway, this is what the ceiling looked like:

Then I started working on it, with my little step ladder and some kind of tool with a flat hook on it.  I know I sound very airheady at the moment, but I can't remember what that thing is called.  Anyway, then the ceiling looked like this:


Then this:
















Well, on a Saturday at 5:45 in the morning (yes, that was before the sun was up), all that started to change.  Josh showed up before the restaurant making our breakfast burritos was open and he and Andy started REALLY tearing things down.  I'd like to say WE did this, but after 5 minutes in the kitchen with a plastic wall separating me from the dust (supposedly), I knew this was not my scene.  Pablo and I went for a walk, I delivered the breakfast burritos, and then I hi-tailed it out of there.

This is what went on while I was gone:

All of that USED to be above the ceiling! Pretty hard to imagine, isn't it.  I can't believe they climbed over all of this stuff.


Josh, the destroyer!

A small idea of how much dust was in the air!
I apologize for the quality of pictures, but I haven't been able to find the battery charger for my camera, so we are using I-Phones and I-Pods for the photography right now.

Well, they started at 5:45 a.m., and were eventually joined by Tyler, Brett, and Chris.  When I came back by the house at 3:30, the ceiling was finished.  The dry wall was up and "mudded".  Robyn and I left to shop at Good Company.  When I came back at 6:00, the ceiling was LESS done then when I stopped by at 3:30!

I was confused, and then I was laughing...hard.

Andy was putting insulation up in the attic above the new ceiling and he stepped THROUGH the ceiling.  No, he didn't fall through, but he did knock out 2 panels of drywall.  Also, he fell butt first onto a nail.  He literally nailed his pocket shut and had to pull a nail out of his backside in order to get something out of his pants pocket!  Believe me, the jokes and puns have been NUMEROUS.  Feel free to add yours in the comment section :).

So, anyway, he and Tyler quickly put up 2 new panels of dry wall, and this is what the ceiling looks like now:


No hole, no falling tiles, no popcorn ceiling.  Yay!  We have sanding and some more mudding to do before we can texturize the ceiling, and mudding and priming to do on the walls before we can paint it.  However, a HUGE step forward has been made!

Those men worked HARD, and I am so thankful for them. 

KTV


6 comments:

  1. What an adventure! I guess Richard is not the only one to be the "butt" of injury jokes now...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. laughing as I read this - and I am proud of you for laughing too!!! (oh, it's carrie, commenting while at work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm laughing so hard right now. I totally forgot about Richard and his sword injury. Love it!

      Delete
    2. I laughed, but I did ask Andy if anyone swore at him, because I'm pretty sure I would have if I had been home. He says, "I swore at me"

      Delete
  3. Oh.my.goodness!! Is Andy up to date on his tetanus shot?!! Amazing progress! You and Robyn got to Good Company right after I left it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes he is...thanks to his shattered clavicle and that whole saga :) Sorry we missed you, that would have been great. Did you find anything?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, feel free to comment.