Sunday, May 17, 2020

Rest (Hope Writers 2020 Writing Challenge)

This week I took part in the Hope Writers 2020 Re-imagine Writing Challenge. I managed to respond to all but one of the prompts, and I'm posting them here if you want to read or share them.

As Kansas City phases out of quarantine I am planning a trip to my family in Southeastern Missouri.

There, I don't take myself too seriously. To be honest, I really don't have a choice. The love languages in my family are teasing and mockery. We laugh with and at each other freely. Then we find some way to explore the river.

THE river, our river.

My summer memories center around this river and the family that still lives near it. I've floated on it, kayaked it, swam in it, bathed in it. My aunt and uncle have taken me to explore many of its banks and shared their stories. We scattered Mama's ashes there.

I swear to you, pushing off into the river is pretty close to magic. I feel stress fall away that I didn't even know I was carrying. I sit in the kayak and let the river move me along. I listen to the choir of flora and fauna and just drift.

My psyche starts to mend and my spirit gathers strength. I breathe deeply and I embrace rest.

Our river is a 6 hour drive from where I live my life, however. Rest can't always happen in an ideal place, surrounded by the right circumstances.

I can't drive that far every time I need to not take myself too seriously! I can't wait months before I breathe deeply. My spirit needs strengthening more often than I can make it to the company of my family.

So, I've learned little rests.
  • Talking to friends
  • Walking, preferably dancing, in the rain
  • Singing along with familiar songs
  • My morning London Fog
  • Laughing
  • Taking a stroll in spring weather

They aren't difficult and they don't take a lot of time. But sometimes I still have to be reminded to DO them.

Her: “How are you?”
Me:  “Meh”
Her: “That’s fair.”

10 minutes later

Her: “Are you taking walks?”
Me:  “No”
Her: “I love you, but take walks”
Me:  “Okay, fine”
Also Me: “I’m getting my shoes now”

And then the conversation devolved into memes and alternate methods of walking. Which made me laugh. Out loud.

I'm not sure why it's hard for me to embrace rest that rejuvenates me. But I am so thankful for friends and family that don't allow me to take myself too seriously and who remind me to do the things that help me live my life with more abundance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, feel free to comment.